Corporate Counsel-Head of Legal
Our client is a successful, global, franchised organization with sales in excess of $30B. With operations in nine countries and 6000+ employees, the business has highly complex ownership agreements and legal structures in place. On a local level there are multiple entities, ownership and joint ventures agreements and complex state based franchisee, licensee and legislative requirements.
They seek to hire a commercially savvy General Counsel – Head of Legal who can ensure full franchise compliance, provide expert legal guidance across a broad range of issues and strategically support them achieve future growth targets.
As an integral member of the Senior Leadership Team, this role will provide expert advice across a broad range of legal matters and lead a small corporate team.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Reviewing franchise documentation on a state by state basis and ensuring all contracts, agreements and licenses are up to date and fully comply with relevant regulatory and legislative requirements;
- Reviewing broader business, partner and supplier contracts and agreements to ensure they are current, compliant and provide commercially favorable outcomes for the organization;
- Implementing robust frameworks, systems and processes and ensuring all legal and governance activities meet best practice principles;
- Staying abreast of legislative changes globally, identifying any gaps and proactively anticipating the impact of change to the franchise code;
- Positively engaging and educating the Board, CEO, Country and State Managers and broader business on all legal matters so you are seen as a “trusted advisor”;
- Regularly updating the Senior Team on disputes and litigation matters and proactively mitigating future risks by ensuring appropriate action plans are in place;
- Providing Company Secretarial support including filing, registers and record keeping and professionally advising on good corporate governance principles;
- Ensuring appropriate insurances are in place and business continuity planning and disaster recovery processes are sound; and
- Streamlining, automating and promoting continuous improvement so you can build scalable solutions that proactively support the business as it continues to evolve.
We are seeking a commercially astute and suitably qualified legal professional who is positive, proactive with demonstrated ability to deliver value ad solutions. Your prior corporate and commercial experience has required you to provide commercial advice across a broad range of legal matters in complex, challenging environments.
On a personal level you engage and build trust easily and use a common sense and pragmatic approach to problem solving.
A very attractive remuneration package will be provided to the successful candidate.
Please call Kelly Howard or Peter Murphy for a confidential discussion or apply on-line.
Your Talent Specialist: Peter Murphy
My 25 year professional talent identification career has seen me undertake Board, C-Suite and Executive assignments for ASX listed and privately-owned corporations, government departments and owned corporations, and small to medium sized enterprises. As a Chartered Accountant working for several of the Big four CA firms I was provided training and experience over 8 years that instilled in me a professional services mindset and work ethic. The technical knowledge and “hands on” practical experience gained across various industries, and dealings with Boards and Executives was an excellent grounding. As Chair of the Edmund Rice Foundation Australia, my understanding of what is required to be an effective Chair and Board member was enhanced. I have received industry awards recognising my contribution to the industry including The Best Recruiter in Australia and the Best Recruiter in Queensland.