Chief Executive Officer
Location: Eagle Farm
The Brisbane Racing Club (BRC) over the last five-years has successfully engaged in the first phase of a business diversification strategy. The focus of this phase has been to deliver substantial non racing revenue streams to sustain Premium Thoroughbred Racing and training at both Metropolitan tracks, Doomben and Eagle Farm, owned by the BRC.
A $1.2 billion property masterplan that unlocks the value of the non-core land within the BRC’s racing precinct underpins the diversification strategy. To date with its tier one joint venture partners, the BRC has delivered the following:
- The first residential tower in the Ascot Green residential development, built by Mirvac;
- The Racecourse Village shopping centre anchored by Woolworths;
- A child care centre; and
- Commenced construction of the Bernborough Ascot Retirement and Aged Care project with Lendlease, Australia’s largest retirement village operator.
The club has self-funded a unique $25 million infield development of 430 stables that will sustain its core racing product in South-East Queensland. It owns two licensed clubs that successfully provide financial support for the main core business.
The new CEO will lead an established highly motivated, experienced senior leadership team focused on delivery of the desired outcomes in the strategic plan. Future proofing the BRC business requires a CEO who will provide excellent professional leadership, can manage and deliver visionary projects, possesses exceptional people skills, and is strong in community engagement.
The key initial challenges the CEO faces will be:
- Leading contract negotiations for the multimillion-dollar BRC media rights, delivering maximum value, post expiration of the current agreement in 12 months’ time;
- Managing and developing a member owned multi-faceted, racing, entertainment and property business whilst maximising potential of the existing licensed clubs’ business;
- Leading Enterprise Bargaining negotiations to attain satisfactory outcomes for all parties.
- Attracting and hosting premium Thoroughbred Racing for the enjoyment of BRC members and the wider Queensland racing stakeholders; and
- Prudently managing the funding delivered by financial outcomes of the masterplan
A vastly experienced CEO who has worked in a range of industries and has significant exposure to complex contract negotiations is required. A passion for the racing industry, as well as comprehension of the political nuances of it, will be highly regarded.
Your exceptional leadership capability has enabled you to successfully manage transformational business changes that delivered new income streams. You are a resilient, tenacious individual who motivates your team to provide a level of service that exceeds the recipient’s expectations. Your engaging personality allows you to establish strong relationships with a myriad of stakeholders. Throughout your career you have thrived on challenging the status quo to bring about profitable improvements in the operating model.
If you wish to discuss this role prior to applying please contact Peter Murphy on (07) 3040 4501, or please apply on-line quoting job reference no. Jo-1904-1385.
Your Talent Specialist: Peter Murphy
My 25 year professional talent identification career has seen me undertake Board, C-Suite and Executive assignments for ASX listed and privately-owned corporations, government departments and owned corporations, and small to medium sized enterprises. As a Chartered Accountant working for several of the Big four CA firms I was provided training and experience over 8 years that instilled in me a professional services mindset and work ethic. The technical knowledge and “hands on” practical experience gained across various industries, and dealings with Boards and Executives was an excellent grounding. As Chair of the Edmund Rice Foundation Australia, my understanding of what is required to be an effective Chair and Board member was enhanced. I have received industry awards recognising my contribution to the industry including The Best Recruiter in Australia and the Best Recruiter in Queensland.